Saturday, July 13, 2013

What Size Is It?

I'm really not sure what this blog is supposed to be.  I thought I was "supposed" to write it to be an encouragement to others.  Every "Spiritual Gift Test" that I've taken indicated I am "gifted" in encouragement.  Because of that, I thought I needed to write a wonderful blog full of wisdom and edification to enrich the lives of all who read it.  Wow, that's pretty big.  So, perhaps that's why it's been years since I actually made an entry.

However, I think I'm just writing the blog to grow myself. Ha.

I was hoping to have a Bible verse begin each blog, but I don't think that's happening tonight.  Maybe there will be one to end the entry...who knows?  I sure don't.  Ha.

Now, to tonight's entry...

I was in Kohl's this evening for the Night Owl sale, yay!  I love sales.  Though I'm "broke" at the moment, I still had the gift card my son had given me for my birthday a few months ago.

Shorts.  I'm in need of another pair of shorts, pretty ones to wear to church.  I've gained too much weight and can only fit in one pair of my "good" shorts.  I was determined not to move up a size.  No way would I go up a size.

Imagine what was going through my mind when I grabbed "my size" in four different styles of "nice denim" shorts.  (Yes, other people's casual is my "dressy" -- I'm normally in gym shorts, sports bra, and tank top seven days a week.)  Three of the four pair were too big.  Too big.  One pair was really cute.  I was tempted to go down a size.  However, I knew in my heart I was not really the smaller size.  There's no way I would try the smaller size, I knew every time I put them on my mind would echo the word "fraud, fraud, fraud."

Leaving the store without grabbing the "fraudulent" smaller size, I felt almost proud of my honesty.

Until--I realized I had somehow given those numbers on the tag some sort of deeper meaning.

What if every pair of pants was a size 6?  No matter how tall we are or how much we weigh, every tag said 6.  Would we feel better?  Like frauds?  What if every tag said 16?  Or 26?

If God created my cousin to be 5 feet tall, my sister 5 feet 4 inches, and me to be 5 feet 7 inches . . . size 12 would look very different on each of us.  Perhaps those tag numbers don't actually mean what I've been led (culturally) to believe.

As I think and ponder about God's holy temple, I wonder, does He have an ideal tag number for this temple?  Probably not.  However, I know He does care how I treat it.

I'm not sure if this Galatians 5:24 actually fits in away others can follow or if I'm tacking it here because it's just what I've been studying lately.

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to His cross and crucified them there.

I wonder if the desire to have a certain tag number is something that needs to be nailed to the cross?

Of course, this does not mean I will stop working out or eating vegetables, just that the desire I have for a certain tag number needs to be nailed there.


No comments:

Post a Comment